May and our False Bay garden

  

by Diana Studer

- gardening for biodiversity

 in Cape Town, South Africa

 

Between catching up with my iNaturalist backlog and this week's elections, not much gardening done. My bird has been framed in 'weathered denim' to sing with his blue-grey square (reduction linocut).

 

Cape robin-chat
Cape robin-chat

Red-wing starlings flocking to Searsia crenata berries - which are falling to the path as they dry out.

 

Red-wing starlings
Red-wing starlings

Bunch of bananas still startles us when we look that way!

 

Bananas
Bananas

For Through the Garden Gate Down by the Sea in Dorset with Sarah. My camera skills don't capture what my merely human eye does. Waves of purples and a little white. Mother plant and finally a white seedling (hidden away behind the lemon tree) to nurture in a more visible place.

 

Cornish Stripe in purples
Cornish Stripe in purples

For the bluer - Barleria obtusa. White mother Hypoestes aristata. Self-seeded purples vary, more pink, more purple, lighter or darker.

 

Purples for Cornish Stripe and Zackie Achmat
Purples for Cornish Stripe
and Zackie Achmat

Lemon tree leafing out. Will rescue it from shrubs and groundcovers when winter fades the lush flowers.

 

Lemon tree
Lemon tree

Working on cutting back Hibiscus tiliaceus. Which exploded across to the bird-feeder after the carob was pruned. It has buttery yellow flowers. But way up high and I only see them when they fade and fall.

 

Hibiscus tiliaceus
Hibiscus tiliaceus

May flowers. Fruity fragrant South Africa rose - brought that flower in ahead of stormy weather. Felicia daisy - felicity - my colour of happiness. Delicate mauve Plectranthus saccatus. Sturdy Lachenalia bulbifera.

 

May flowers in my garden
May flowers in my garden

That week I took my camera to Kirstenbosch, to record the fire scar. Flames and embers licked down to Newlands forest - held back by firefighters, helicopters with buckets, and indigenous forest resistant to fire. 283 hectares burnt across the Back Table of Table Mountain.

 

Fire scar above Kirstenbosch
Fire scar above Kirstenbosch

Bonus picture of Tetradenia riparia also known as iboza. Leaves smell gently of camphor.

 

Tetradenia riparia
Tetradenia riparia

Elections. We had independent candidates for the first time. Western Cape had Zackie Achmat (known for the Treatment Action Campaign for antiretroviral drugs against HIV and AIDS) - "all of us are disheartened by the results for the forces of hate such as MK, the Patriotic Alliance and the Coloured Congress but we accept the will of their voters without question. These are forces that will destroy our society and no democrat should encourage them, faux leftists notwithstanding” he wrote.

 

Garden year month by month here, back to November 2014.

 

I invite you to join us at Elephant's Eye on False Bay. Please subscribe as you prefer

via Feedly,

or my Facebook blog page

 

Pictures by Diana Studer

of Elephant's Eye on False Bay

 

Teal blue text is my links.

To read comments if you are in a Reader,

first click thru to the blog)

 

Thanks for comments that add value. Your comment will not appear until I've read it. I welcome comments on posts from the last 2 months.

 

Google and Blogger comments uncooperative? Use Name / URL instead.

 

 

Comments

  1. The bananas are impressive! I sighed when I saw your Hypoestes aristata in bloom. It did well in my former tiny garden but it's still struggling to be established in my current one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This garden came with one large purple, and a smaller white plant.

      Delete
  2. The painting is impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bunch of bananas looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely painting and your flowers look so beautiful. Hopped over here from Sarah's blog to meet you. Have a lovely start to June.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reduction linocut - added a link for you. Lovely to meet a new blogger!

      Delete
  5. Wow those bananas look amazing and also your picture, you are so talented! Lovely to see the flowers and wildlife in your garden and the Tetradenia riparia. That was a huge area that was destroyed by the fire. We now have elections here too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful views. I am always in awe when I see bananas growing in a garden.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Goodness, to have so much color at while heading into winter! But then again, we do have the glorious autumn foliage at that time of year. As of now, summer is starting, and everything is in riotous bloom here. Delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your bird image is beautiful, and the plants look happy! Bananas...wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The elections were something else. It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out. 'Fire scar' is a chilling term. May the land recover quickly. You live in a beautiful part of the world. I keep meaning to go out with my camera to capture similar posts in Kent, but it's June and I've just packed my winter parka for a night in Edinburgh so maybe later in the month!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm quite smitten by your framed bird, especially the way it peeks up out of its blue-grey square. And those strong purple flower colors make my heart sing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment