June and our False Bay garden

  

by Diana Studer

- gardening for biodiversity

 in Cape Town, South Africa

 

June has been chilly down to 5C overnight and wet 104 mm. A good rain year for June. Cutting back the 'dwarf' papyrus again, I found a disgruntled hippo. He would like to complain to management about the erratic garden service in winter. Not if it is wet. Or cold. Or busy with iNaturalist. 'There is MOSS growing in my ear!!'

 

MOSS in my ear!
MOSS in my ear!

Looking back at June for Through the Garden Gate Down by the Sea in Dorset with Sarah. Revelling in the winter sun for my breakfast. With Zoe happily twiddling her toes. (1. Need to prune the Brachylaena discolor, which has eaten next door's garage, again)

 

Revelling in winter sun
Revelling in winter sun

Thru the window I see many sunbirds on Albuca bracteata.

 

Albuca bracteata
Albuca bracteata

Winter says aloes, and the buds are beginning to open (2. Another pruning task there)

 

Aloe buds opening
Aloe buds opening

We have cut. And cut again. I think, we have foiled our rats. Buddleja salviifolia  is sprouting from the stubs and has sent out runners or seedlings. Coprosma repens, also branch by branch bit by bit, till they can NOT jump so far. We see more wall and neighbour, but it will green over again in time.

 

Pruning around the bird feeder
Pruning around the bird feeder

When summer returns, and I seek shade and coolth for breakfast, I will enjoy our freshly painted table. And the view down to the mountain (3. Again pruning needed - also for the lemon tree)

 

Summer shade with mountain view
Summer shade with mountain view

Mid-winter roses appropriately named Iceberg.

 

Iceberg roses
Iceberg roses

Spanish bluebells, some from my English mother and some found here in the garden.

 

Spanish bluebells
Spanish bluebells

I wanted to echo the central yellow on the plate. Found golden Portulacaria afra leaves, and Hypochaeris (or dandelion?) - glorious yellow but only last for a day.

 

June flowers in a vase
June flowers in a vase

July will be pruning month.

 

I invite you to join us at Elephant's Eye on False Bay. Please subscribe as you prefer

via Feedly,

or my Facebook blog page



 Pictures by Diana Studer

of Elephant's Eye on False Bay

 

Teal blue text is my links.

To read comments if you are in a Reader,

first click thru to the blog)

 

Thanks for comments that add value. Your comment will not appear until I've read it. I welcome comments on posts from the last 2 months.

 

Google and Blogger comments uncooperative? Use Name / URL instead.

 

 

Comments

  1. I enjoy seeing your garden year round. Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cats always make the best of their circumstances, especially when they find a sunny spot ;) I love the Albuca and aloe flowers. I envy you the Hypoestes aristata too - I've had a hard time getting it established in my current garden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun hippos! Your aloes are beautiful, and you're fortunate to have a productive, lovely garden year-round. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had never seen an aloe bloom!

    ReplyDelete
  5. June was cool and wet here, too -- but it's supposed to be summer here! I keep waiting for the opportunity to stretch out and bask in the warm sun like Zoe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How lovely it is to have a winter garden! The mossy hippo amuses me. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. More hippo it must have been good to discover him again! I am always in envy of your winter garden so much colour and greenery compared with us! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is Mandy from Chateau Moorhen. I am having intermittent problems with logging in as my account. Anyway, love the hippo! Always amazed by how much flowers in your winter garden.

    I have a question. Where did you migrate your Feedburner followers to? I set up an account with Feedio, but recently have realised the blog emails have not been going out. Today I have googled Feedio but it appears to no longer exist on the internet. Sigh. So I have to start all over again searching for a suitable platform, except I don't know if I have the newer subscribers' details (I may have an email notifying me of new subscribers, let's hope I can find them.) Thanks in advance. Mandy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chilly days in the garden, but still some green and life to be seen!

    ReplyDelete